Friday 22 July 2022

My Summer Art Exhibition

I thought I would post some of this year's art in a little online exhibition on Blogger. You can follow the progress of these and other pieces on my Instagram account
Contact me for more information on these or other pieces of work on Facebook, Instagram or via my Etsy shop.

For a larger view of the image click on the picture. Please note, none of these are available as NFTs.



Glastonbury Tor and fields.

Shadows, frost, mist and sunshine.
Last year's leaves, this year's light.

Mixed media - Watercolour, collage and thread.



Burrow Mump with Spring Blossom

Watercolour and pencil on traditionally made linen/cotton paper.




Studies from a life drawing session with Scottish Borders Life Drawing Club.







The Little Hornbeam Tree

I have been growing this little hornbeam tree for years. It has never been wired and only occasionally pruned and has grown to its shape by the passage of our lives (kids footballs, basketballs, chewing pets, parties, storms, snow, heatwaves...) It has become a garden friend and each Spring I look forward to the point that the leaf buds break.
I thought I'd try painting/sketching it this year: the shadows, branch shapes and moss feel like a landscape I know well.

Watercolour on linen rag paper




Letting our lives fall
Moments windblown
Petals on the lawn


Based on a landscape poem from last year, this watercolour is inspired
by the gardens at Hestercombe.





Mixed media piece based on Wells cathedral and including a poem of mine called The Window.

Watercolour, ink and thread. (A4 unframed) 




Batik Trees

With this watercolour I've used repeating blocks of abstract colour,
 a bit like the process of batik, to echo the repetition of the trees and build up
the image. Based on a view at Hestercombe Gardens in Somerset.





Similar in style to Red Tree, Red Tree Dancing features a person walking through a moonlit landscape with Glastonbury Tor in the distance.

(Oil on board 7x5" not including frame) 





Tree Cathedral
Chestnut Avenue, Glastonbury

During the pandemic there was a feeling of isolation; we were all apart and separate in our own spaces. I wanted to capture some of that feeling in this painting. As the figures wander outside, the open space becomes an indoor space, as meditative and sacred as the indoor spaces we no longer visit.

(oil on board 11 x 13" including frame.) 


No comments: